Find out everything you need to know about the Canadian Federal Government's Canada Greener Home Initiative and how Brightworks Energy can help you obtain a $5600 government rebate AND reduce your hydro bill!
The federal government has launched a new program that allows Canadians grants up to $5600 in energy-saving home upgrades and evaluations. The program is called the Canada Greener Homes Grant worth $2.6 billion over the next seven years. Homeowners would be allowed to get up to $5000 for efficient retrofits to their main homes and another $600 to help with home evaluations.
The grant covers items such as replacing windows and doors, sealing air leaks, addition insulation, improving heating and cooling systems and the best part....... covering the purchasing of renewable energy systems such as SOLAR PANELS!
- Home insulation — Update your eligible attic/ceiling, exterior wall, exposed floor, basement or foundation, and crawlspace.
- Air-sealing — Perform air sealing to improve the air-tightness of your home to achieve the air-change rate target
- Windows and doors — Replace your windows or glass doors with ENERGY STAR® certified models
- Thermostats – Add a smart thermostat (must be combined with another retrofit)
- Heating — Make the switch to more energy-efficient heating equipment
- Renewable energy — Install photovoltaic solar panels
- Resiliency measures — Incentives to protect your home and your family from environmental damages (must be combined with another retrofit): Batteries connected to Photovoltaic systems to provide standby power for home, Roofing Membrane – self-adhering roofing underlayment applied to the entire roof, Foundation water-proofing, Moisture proofing crawl space floor, walls and headers (100%)
- Small Multi-unit residential buildings (MURBs)
Who is Eligible?
Homeowners should first make sure they’re eligible for the program by ensuring they have proof of homeownership in hand.
According to the federal government, only one homeowner per home would be able to register and would have to prove that the home is their “primary residence” through a government-issued ID or utility bill.
Other groups, like local Indigenous governments and housing management bodies partnering with Indigenous organizations, are also eligible for the program, and are allowed to register multiple homes.
Eligible property types for the program include:
- Single and semi-detached houses
- Row housing
- All-season cottages
- Mobile homes on a permanent foundation
- Permanently-moored floating homes
- Residential portions of mixed use buildings
- Small multi-unit residential building, which must be three storeys or less and with a footprint no bigger than 600 m2.
If eligible, homeowners can contact Brightworks Energy to set up a full assessment, quotation, execution of project and direction and assistance in obtaining the government grant. We can help you register for the program and schedule a certified pre- and post - retrofit EnerGuide evaluation completed by an NRCan registered energy advisor.
Only retrofits recommended by your energy adviser are eligible for reimbursement and a list should be included in your pre-evaluation.
In Order to Qualify a Homeowners must:
- complete a pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation (residents of Quebec and Nova Scotia need to apply directly through their provincial programs to book their EnerGuide evaluation);
- complete at least one retrofit that is both eligible and recommended by their energy advisor in their report. Only homeowners who conduct at least one retrofit will be reimbursed;
- provide and keep copies of all of their documents until March 31, 2028; and
- ensure that all products must be purchased in Canada. Online purchases are only eligible if they are ordered from an online distributor located in Canada.
Why Choose Solar Panels for the Initiative?
Solar systems are becoming much more efficient and a positive cost effective energy reducing solution, which makes it the right time to retrofit your home with a renewable energy source that will save me money and help the environment.
Many people choose to install solar panels because:
- They are looking for a green initiative for their home, workshop or cottage.
- You can earn money selling back excess power to the grid.
- Solar power is good for the environment.
- Many of the top forwarding thinking European countries are bringing forth initiatives to have entire countries living off the grid and solar power.
- While the cost of hydro continues to rise out of control, installing solar panels minimizes the need and dependance on the grid.
- Low cost energy bill.
- Costs have come down over the past years, making installation and maintenance of solar panels much more manageable.
- Solar panels are best-suited for homes that receive ample sun exposure throughout the year.
How to Apply:
- Step 1: Call Brightworks Energy to book your pre-retrofit evaluation and discuss the application and installation of solar panels to your home. Let's see if you and your home qualify.
- Step 2: Brightworks Energy will plan, document and complete your installation of home solar panels during a time that works best for you and with optimal weather.
- Step 3: Brightworks Energy will then schedule your post-retrofit evaluation and apply for your reimbursement
- Step 4: Confirm and receive your reimbursement
Sit back and let Brightworks Energy take care of every step to a having a greener, more energy efficient home!